Skip to main content

"It's Liberation Day In America," Posts Trump Ahead Of Tariffs Announcement

US President Donald Trump geared up to unveil sweeping new "Liberation Day" tariffs on Wednesday in a move that threatens to ignite a devastating global trade war. Key US trading partners including the European Union and Britain said they were preparing their responses to Trump's escalation, as nervous markets fell in Europe and America. Trump will unveil the levies in a grand ceremony with his cabinet members in the White House Rose Garden -- just as Wall Street stocks close at 4:00 pm (2000 GMT). "IT'S LIBERATION DAY IN AMERICA!" Trump posted a one-liner on his Truth Social platform early Wednesday. The 78-year-old has promised so-called reciprocal tariffs on friends and foes alike if they target the world's largest economy, saying the levies will stop the United States being "ripped off." But Trump has kept the world guessing until the last minute about the scale and scope, with the White House saying he was still "perfecting"...

Bunkers Built 70 Years Ago Proving Lifeline In Devastated Ukraine Village

For a Ukrainian village devastated by war, Cold War bunkers built to withstand a nuclear attack that never happened have proven a lifeline for residents who have spent much of the past year living in them.

Luch, a southern village, about 40 km (25 miles) northwest of Kherson, was hammered by Russian fire almost from the start of the war when it ended up close to the frontlines.

There, Svitlana Gynzhul is one of five people who reside in a concrete-and-turf bunker, accessed via a door on the side of a grassy mound that leads to a steep, dingy staircase underground.

Starting in March and through the autumn, she used the village's strategic location to organize spying on Russian troop movements when soldiers were as close as 2 km away.

Some younger villagers mounted a cell communications tower on the village's outskirts to train their binoculars on the Russians from a high vantage point. Gynzhul said she passed the reports to Ukrainian armed forces. Reuters could not independently verify her account.

Now she cares for the few neighbors who have remained in Luch.

The need to take shelter in a bunker built 70 years ago for a different threat underlines the desperate measures many Ukrainians have employed in the last year to stay alive.

In April, with their village caught between Russian and Ukrainian forces, Gynzhul, her husband Dmytro and their son moved into a warehouse basement, just before their second-storey apartment was shelled.

Then in August, they moved into one of Luch's two abandoned Soviet-era nuclear bomb shelters, built in the 1950s for soldiers who at the time trained in Luch.

The heavy metal doors, bunk beds and gas masks had long been stolen.

"Nobody thought it would be useful," said Gynzhul, 55.

Her group has made it their refuge, outlasting the Russian army's occupation of parts of Kherson region. Ukrainian soldiers pushed the Russians south away from Luch last autumn and by early November had recaptured Kherson city.

By that time, Luch was devastated and most homes destroyed, with roofs caved in, windows missing and rocket holes punched into walls.

UNDERGROUND

The village, population 935 before the invasion, is now home to around 50 people. Up to 30 of them live underground in Luch's two nuclear shelters and a basement.

Gynzhul and the others in her bunker live off humanitarian aid and her 4,000 hryvnia ($109) per month salary from her administrative job in the village.

After the Russians retreated, the bunker's residents found an electrician to connect it to power lines. A wood stove heats the two-room bunker, furnished with a double bed and three single beds lined side-by-side.

A generator allows them to pump water. Rugs on the floor and colorful blankets pinned to the walls add comforting touches.

War has exacted a heavy price for some survivors.

Bunker resident Iryna Sichkar said her son was captured early in the war in Mariupol. She does not know if he is alive.

"I only pray my son will come home," she said, in tears.

A Russian strike killed two people in Luch and wounded eight, including Gynzhul, when shrapnel passed through her foot.

Her son is now preparing for deployment to Bakhmut, scene of some of the war's bloodiest battles.

Some families didn't feel safe underground, where shelling sent vibrations through the bunker.

Irina and Viktor Okhnal lived there from March until April, when they left with their two children to live with her parents in Chernivtsi region 800 km northwest of Luch.

The couple and son Slavik, 6, returned to Luch in November, where they are back among friends. Slavik is the only child left in the village

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/Tj7HbQd
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Teen Who Slapped Teacher In Classroom Faces Kidnapping, Assault Charges

A US high school student, who attacked two teachers in school premises, has been hit indicted on assault and kidnapping charges, according to a report in Fox News. The outlet said that the attacks took place at Parkland High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A video of 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman hitting one of the teachers in the classroom in April had gone viral on social media, leading to a barrage of comments. Hickman is being tried as an adult and his case has been moved from a juvenile court to a superior court. Watch the video: NEW: North Carolina high school student who went viral for hitting his teacher has been smacked with felony charges & is being charged as an adult. This is how it's done. 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman has been indicted on assault and kidnapping charges for two separate… pic.twitter.com/JOsO0bFiKX — Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 5, 2024 "A grand jury was convened last week, last Monday, comprised of members of this community and...

"I Felt Bad That My First Throw...": Neeraj Opens Up On Asiad Controversy

Neeraj Chopra clinched the gold medal in men's javelin event at Asian Games 2023 with a season-best throw of 88.88m but the win was not without controversies. The very first attempt by the reigning world champion was a massive one and it looked that throw easily breached the 85m-mark. However, the organisers were not able to measure it due to a technical glitch and as a result, Neeraj had to take the throw once again. Following his gold medal win, Neeraj opened up about his feelings regarding the controversial incident and what he felt could have been the reason behind the confusion. ( Asian Games Medals Tally ) "I was puzzled and confused, it has never happened in any competition I have competed in till now. I think they lost my landing mark and they kept on looking for it," he was quoted by PTI. "I did not have any other means, I thought there was no point arguing for long. I also thought it's affecting the competition of other competitors. The other competit...

Pepsi Unveils Futuristic 'Smart Cans' - Find Details Inside

Technology and innovation go hand-in-hand, and today, we can see its best usage in every possible sector, including the food and beverage industry. From packaged food firms to restaurants and fast food chains - we see people experimenting with advanced technologies for seamless workflow and better user experience. One such recent instance is Pepsi's latest innovation - the Smart Can. The brand took to the platform of the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity for the preview of the new experiment. Read on. Also Read:  Pepsi Introduces Colachup - Its A Ketchup! Pepsi Smart Can Features: What Is So Special About Pepsi Smart Cans? Mauro Porcini, PepsiCo's senior vice president and chief design officer, took to social media to explain more about the brand's futuristic experiment. "Let me introduce you to our new PEPSI SMART CAN, a CAN-vas for creativity," he states, adding that this will unveil new ways of storytelling, and accessing new experiences, esp...