Skip to main content

Kohli Reveals Struggle After Leaving Captaincy, Says Dravid 'Took Care' Of Him

Virat Kohli conceded that he went through a distressing phase after stepping down from India captaincy but profusely thanked Rahul Dravid and Vikram Rathour for helping rediscover the joy of playing cricket. Kohli moved away from captaincy in 2022, and that year he tallied a mere 265 runs from six Tests at an average of 26.5 with just one fifty. Dravid, who took over the stewardship of the Indian team in November 2021 along with batting coach Rathour, then rekindled the hunger in Kohli, putting a kind arm around the struggling star batter. “Only when I left captaincy, I opened up and I shared a lot more with people like Rahul Bhai and Vikram Rathour. I had a great run in Test cricket in 2023 and whenever I meet them, I always thank them from the bottom of my heart. “They really took care of me in a way that made me feel like I wanted to play for them. I want to perform. I want to go out there and grind it out. They were so caring and nurturing. They made me realise what I have done so ...

"Not Freedom Of Speech": Minister On Space To Khalistani Elements Abroad

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar called out the space given to extremist Khalistani elements in foreign countries and said this is not freedom of speech, but a misuse of it.

He said it is not good for any country to send that kind of message for their own reputation and expressed hope that action will be taken against those who attacked Indian missions.

The Minister was speaking at the event 'The Rise of the Global South' at TV9 Bharatvarsh Conclave on Monday.

Speaking about the situation in Canada, Mr Jaishankar said, "We had to suspend the issue of visas in Canada because our diplomats were not safe going to work, they were repeatedly threatened, intimidated, and got very little comfort from the Canadian system at that time...which has improved since then."

"We reached a stage, where, as a minister, I could not risk exposing my diplomats to the kind of violence prevalent there. That part of it has been rectified, so today our visa operations are pretty much normal," he added.

The Minister further called out the argument of 'freedom of expression' stating that throwing smoke bombs at missions and advocating violence is a "misuse" of freedom of speech.

"Regarding the space that is being given to extremists, they keep telling us, 'There is freedom of speech, democracy'. Freedom of speech can't extend to intimidating diplomats, throwing smoke bombs in embassies and consulates, advocating violence and separatism against a friendly state. To me, this is not freedom of speech. This is a misuse of freedom of speech," Mr Jaishankar said.

Recalling the vandalism incident on the Indian High Commission in the UK, he said that the mission didn't get the protection New Delhi had expected.

"To the point of someone climbing on to our HC and bringing down our Indian flag. I asked my colleagues 'Let's put us in each other's shoes'. How would you react if a mob attacked your premises anywhere in the world? You will not say freedom of speech and expression, you will be jumping up and down. But, things have improved in the UK," the Minister said.

In a stern message, Mr Jaishankar said that if a country is not taking action against someone attacking foreign missions, "there is a message in it."

"We have had a much firmer response in Australia and the US. We had an arson attack in the US, but that is under investigation. If the receiving state does not take action against someone who attacks an embassy or a consulate, there's a message in it. Now, I don't think it's good for any country to send that kind of message for their own reputation. That's why we want action to be taken against those who attacked our missions," Mr Jaishankar added.

Notably, there has been a rise in Khalistani extremism in several countries like Canada, Australia, the US and the UK.

After the killing of the designated terrorist Hardeep Singh Nijjar last June, the Khalistani extremists targeted Indian diplomats in several countries and issued threats against them.

Especially in Canada, multiple incidents of Khalistan extremism were reported lately. In June this year, a tableau parade was organised in Canada celebrating the assassination of former PM Indira Gandhi, which drew severe criticism from New Delhi. Multiple temples were also vandalised in Canada by pro-Khalistani protestors, with anti-India graffiti.

Amid strained ties, India stopped issuing visas to Canada amid concerns over the safety of Indian envoys there. Later, the e-visa service was resumed, and physical visa was also started in multiple categories.

In the UK, a group of extremist elements attacked the Indian High Commission in London last March.

Similarly, in the US, the Consulate General of India in San Francisco was attacked on March 19 by a group of assailants. Subsequently, on July 2, at midnight, a few people attempted to set the Consulate building on fire. The case is being probed by the National Investigation Agency.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/ylIuY0G
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Teen Who Slapped Teacher In Classroom Faces Kidnapping, Assault Charges

A US high school student, who attacked two teachers in school premises, has been hit indicted on assault and kidnapping charges, according to a report in Fox News. The outlet said that the attacks took place at Parkland High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A video of 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman hitting one of the teachers in the classroom in April had gone viral on social media, leading to a barrage of comments. Hickman is being tried as an adult and his case has been moved from a juvenile court to a superior court. Watch the video: NEW: North Carolina high school student who went viral for hitting his teacher has been smacked with felony charges & is being charged as an adult. This is how it's done. 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman has been indicted on assault and kidnapping charges for two separate… pic.twitter.com/JOsO0bFiKX — Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 5, 2024 "A grand jury was convened last week, last Monday, comprised of members of this community and...

Watch: PM Modi And Some BTS Moments From His Radio Show Mann Ki Baat

The 100th episode of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Mann Ki Baat will air this Sunday. Ahead of the milestone, a video shows what goes behind recording the popular monthly radio programme. In the video, PM Modi is seen walking into a building, from where Mann Ki Baat is broadcast, and interacting with the staff there. PM Modi then enters a room to start the 30-minute programme, which was launched in 2014. The first episode of the Prime Minister's Mann Ki Baat aired on October 3, 2014. Now, the 100th episode is scheduled to be broadcast tomorrow at 11 am. This time, the PM's address will also be broadcast live at the United Nations headquarters in New York. The episode will be broadcast on more than 1,000 radio stations including TV channels, private radio stations, and community radios. “Get ready for a historic moment as the 100th episode of PM Modi's "Mann Ki Baat" is set to go live on April 30th in Trusteeship Council Chamber at @UN HQ!” the Permanent M...

BJP MP Varun Gandhi Files Case Against Man For Comments On His Father

BJP leader Varun Gandhi on Saturday filed a defamation case in a local court here against a Varanasi man for allegedly making derogatory remarks on his father on Twitter. The Pilibhit MP on Saturday came to the court premises with three advocates around 3 pm and filed a defamation case before Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (II) Abhinav Tiwari. The court recorded his statement and fixed April 25 as the next date for hearing, an advocate said. Gandhi in the complaint said that his father Late Sanjay Gandhi was a well known politician of the country and he was respected all over the country and still is today. He told the court that on March 29, 2023, Vivek Pandey, a resident of Bhojubir of Varanasi district, had made indecent remarks against Sanjay Gandhi through his social media Twitter @vivekkumar IND. According to Mr Gandhi, the accused identified himself as the General Secretary of Nationalist Hindu and Kisan Morcha. Mr Gandhi also said that he was informed about the twee...