Skip to main content

SC Delhi Set Up Durand Cup 2026 Semi-Final Against East Bengal

SC Delhi produced a remarkable second-half comeback to defeat debutants FC Raengdai of Manipur 5-1 on Sunday and set up a semi-final clash against Kolkata heavyweights East Bengal in the Durand Cup. After Chongtham Kishan Singh's (9th) stunning long-range strike had put Raengdai ahead in the first half, substitute Joseph Sunny's (57th, 67th) second-half brace turned the game around. Rodriguinho (82nd), Juan Sebastian Pena (90+3) and Augustine Lalrochana (90+8) were the other SC Delhi goal scorers in the quarter-final match. In Kolkata, a first-half header from PV Vishnu saw East Bengal FC edge past a spirited Indian Army FT side 1-0 in another quarter-final. The East Bengal versus SC Delhi semi-final will be played at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata on August 19. In Ranchi's Birsa Munda Stadium, it was FC Raengdai who took the lead in spectacular fashion against SC Delhi. Chongtham Kishan Singh unleashed a bullet of a shot from around 20 metres tha...

Vladimir Putin Issues Fresh Hypersonic Missile Threat To Ukraine

President Vladimir Putin on Thursday threatened to strike "decision-making centres" in Kyiv with Russia's new hypersonic missile, hours after Moscow pummelled Ukraine's energy grid in an attack that left a million people without power.

Russia fired more than 90 missiles and around 100 drones during the barrage, Kyiv said, in what the Kremlin chief called a "response" to Ukrainian strikes on his territory with Western missiles.

The nearly three-year war has seen a sharp escalation in recent days, with both sides deploying new weapons in a bid to gain the upper hand before US President-elect Donald Trump takes office in January.

"We do not rule out the use of Oreshnik against the military, military-industrial or decision-making centres, including in Kyiv," Putin told a press conference in the Kazakh capital Astana, referring to the hypersonic missile.

Kyiv's government district -- an area of the capital where multiple government buildings are located -- is protected with intense security, but fears for it have risen over the last week.

Russia last week tested its new Oreshnik ballistic missile on Ukraine, and Putin boasted on Thursday that firing several of the weapons at once would have the equivalent force of a nuclear strike, or a "meteorite" hit.

He earlier said the overnight barrage was a "response to continued attacks on our territory by (US) ATACMS missiles."

"As I have said repeatedly, there will always be a response from our side."

Putin also claimed Russia knew how many long-range weapons were given to Kyiv and where they were located.

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Putin's threat to strike Kyiv was a "testament to weakness" and said the West would not be perturbed by his words.

DESPICABLE ESCALATION

The fresh strikes came as Ukrainians braced for a tough winter, with much of its energy infrastructure already damaged by almost three years of war, and as Russian troops advanced in eastern Ukraine.

Tensions have ratcheted up over the last few weeks as both sides look to secure an advantage on the battlefield ahead of Trump's January inauguration.

Putin suggested he had hopes for Trump's second term, describing the Republican on Thursday as an "intelligent person", capable of finding a "solution", without specifying what he was referring to.

The Russian leader spoke hours after the overnight barrage that left more than half a million subscribers in Ukraine's western Lviv region cut off from electricity.

Another 280,000 in the western Rivne region and 215,000 in the northwestern Volyn region also lost power, officials said.

Ukraine's emergency services said the Russian overnight strikes inflicted damage in 14 regions across the country, with the nation's West hard-hit.

Zelensky said that Russia had also fired "cluster munitions" during the attack, calling it a "very despicable escalation of Russian terrorist tactics."

AFP journalists in the capital Kyiv heard blasts ring out over the capital overnight as air defence systems targeted Russian drones and missiles, with locals crowding into the underground metro system for cover.

The energy ministry said it was the 11th massive Russian attack on Ukraine's civilian energy infrastructure this year.

A senior UN official, Rosemary DiCarlo, this month warned Russian attacks on Ukraine's energy infrastructure may make this winter the "harshest since the start of the war".

PUTIN BOASTS OF NEW MISSILE

Since Moscow shocked the West and Kyiv by testing its new ballistic missile Oreshnik on the city of Dnipro last week, Russian officials have touted the arm's might.

In Astana, Putin said the Oreshnik could turn anything "into dust" and hit at a temperature comparable to "the surface of the sun."  

He said Russia was "forced" to "test (the weapon) in combat conditions" after Kyiv's first strike on Russian territory using ATACMS.

Putin said Thursday the Oreshnik could travel "around three kilometres per second" and that its elements could reach a temperature almost "like the surface of the sun."  

Russia also sentenced a lawyer, Dmitry Talantov, to seven years in prison for comparing Moscow's actions in Ukraine at the start of the invasion to "Nazi practises", a day after putting an invasion critic back on trial.

Ukraine, meanwhile, sentenced a woman in the eastern Donetsk region to 15 years in jail on high treason charges for passing sensitive military information to Russia.
 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/iFGjRKU
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Teen Who Slapped Teacher In Classroom Faces Kidnapping, Assault Charges

A US high school student, who attacked two teachers in school premises, has been hit indicted on assault and kidnapping charges, according to a report in Fox News. The outlet said that the attacks took place at Parkland High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A video of 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman hitting one of the teachers in the classroom in April had gone viral on social media, leading to a barrage of comments. Hickman is being tried as an adult and his case has been moved from a juvenile court to a superior court. Watch the video: NEW: North Carolina high school student who went viral for hitting his teacher has been smacked with felony charges & is being charged as an adult. This is how it's done. 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman has been indicted on assault and kidnapping charges for two separate… pic.twitter.com/JOsO0bFiKX — Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 5, 2024 "A grand jury was convened last week, last Monday, comprised of members of this community and...

Hollywood Shuts Down As Actors Go On Strike

Hollywood's actors announced Thursday they will go on strike, joining writers in the first industry-wide shutdown in 63 years after last-ditch talks failed, with nearly all film and television production set to grind to a halt. The Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA), which represents 160,000 performers including A-list stars, said negotiations had ended without a deal on their demands over dwindling pay and the threat posed by artificial intelligence. "SAG-AFTRA's national board unanimously voted to issue a strike order against the studios and streamers," said the union's chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland. The strike will begin at midnight Thursday (0700 GMT Friday), meaning actors will join writers on picket lines from Friday morning in the first Hollywood "double strike" since 1960. Writers have already spent 11 weeks on the picket line, after their similar demands for better pay and protections against the future use of AI in television and fi...

BJP MP Varun Gandhi Files Case Against Man For Comments On His Father

BJP leader Varun Gandhi on Saturday filed a defamation case in a local court here against a Varanasi man for allegedly making derogatory remarks on his father on Twitter. The Pilibhit MP on Saturday came to the court premises with three advocates around 3 pm and filed a defamation case before Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (II) Abhinav Tiwari. The court recorded his statement and fixed April 25 as the next date for hearing, an advocate said. Gandhi in the complaint said that his father Late Sanjay Gandhi was a well known politician of the country and he was respected all over the country and still is today. He told the court that on March 29, 2023, Vivek Pandey, a resident of Bhojubir of Varanasi district, had made indecent remarks against Sanjay Gandhi through his social media Twitter @vivekkumar IND. According to Mr Gandhi, the accused identified himself as the General Secretary of Nationalist Hindu and Kisan Morcha. Mr Gandhi also said that he was informed about the twee...