Skip to main content

'Gangnam Style' Has 6 Billion Views On YouTube. How Much Money Has It Made?

Remember 'Gangnam Style' ? The K-pop song by South Korean artist PSY, released on July 15, 2012, became a worldwide phenomenon, powered by its wacky music video, trademark horse-riding dance, and addictive chorus. The video became a cultural sensation, inspiring thousands of imitations, parodies, and dance videos around the world. It also made YouTube history by becoming the first video on the platform to cross 1 billion views. 14 years later, Gangnam Style remains one of YouTube's most-watched music videos, with around 6 billion views. Its enormous audience has also raised questions about just how much money the video has generated for PSY and its rights holders. When one user on X asked Grok to estimate the video's YouTube revenue, the AI chatbot said the exact lifetime figure was not publicly available. It pointed to Google's disclosure in 2013 that Gangnam Style had generated more than $8 million in advertising revenue when it had around 1.2 billion views....

Challenges To Waqf Law To Be Heard By Supreme Court Today: 10 Points

  1. The Waqf Amendment bill was passed by parliament earlier this month after marathon debates in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha. Now, a three-judge bench of Chief Justice of India Sanjiv Khanna and Justices Sanjay Kumar and KV Vishawnathan will hear the challenges to it at 2 pm.
  2. Earlier, the Supreme Court made it clear that it would not trespass into the domain of the legislature. But as the final arbiter on issues involving Constitution, it has agreed to hear the petitioners, who insist that the amended law tramples on several fundamental rights, including the right to equality and the right to pursue religious practices.
  3. Among those who challenged the law are leaders of Congress, Janata Dal United, Aam Aadmi Party, DMK and CPI; religious organizations and NGOs like Jamiat Ulema Hind and the All-India Muslim Personal Law Board.
  4. BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Assam, Maharashtra and Uttarakhand -- who are supporting the law -- have filed applications demanding to be heard.
  5. Some of the petitions have demanded that the law be cancelled, calling it unconstitutional. Others want the court to stop its implementation. It has also been termed arbitrary and discriminatory against Muslims.
  6. In his petition, AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi said the updated law abolishes the protections given to Waqfs. Diminishing the protection given to Waqf properties while retaining it for other religious is discriminatory, he has claimed.
  7. AAP's Amanatullah Khan, in his petition, has argued that the inclusion of non-Muslim members in Waqf boards is violative of Article 14, and it does not have any rational connection with the purpose of religious property administration.
  8. The government has maintained that the bill is about property and its management, not religion. There are largescale irregularities in the management of Waqf properties and their proceeds do not help impoverished Muslims or women and children, which the amended law would rectify, it has said.
  9. Also, the bill was drawn up after consulting a large section of people and it has the support of non-Muslim minorities. It passed the scrutiny of a Joint Parliamentary Committee and many amendments suggested by the members have been included, the government has contended.
  10. There have been protests against the amended law and before that, the bill, in parts of the country. The worst of these took place in Bengal, where three people died and many became homeless as the protests sparked violence. Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has said her government will not implement the amended Waqf law.


from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/UxeuM2G
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Teen Who Slapped Teacher In Classroom Faces Kidnapping, Assault Charges

A US high school student, who attacked two teachers in school premises, has been hit indicted on assault and kidnapping charges, according to a report in Fox News. The outlet said that the attacks took place at Parkland High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A video of 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman hitting one of the teachers in the classroom in April had gone viral on social media, leading to a barrage of comments. Hickman is being tried as an adult and his case has been moved from a juvenile court to a superior court. Watch the video: NEW: North Carolina high school student who went viral for hitting his teacher has been smacked with felony charges & is being charged as an adult. This is how it's done. 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman has been indicted on assault and kidnapping charges for two separate… pic.twitter.com/JOsO0bFiKX — Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 5, 2024 "A grand jury was convened last week, last Monday, comprised of members of this community and...

Hollywood Shuts Down As Actors Go On Strike

Hollywood's actors announced Thursday they will go on strike, joining writers in the first industry-wide shutdown in 63 years after last-ditch talks failed, with nearly all film and television production set to grind to a halt. The Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA), which represents 160,000 performers including A-list stars, said negotiations had ended without a deal on their demands over dwindling pay and the threat posed by artificial intelligence. "SAG-AFTRA's national board unanimously voted to issue a strike order against the studios and streamers," said the union's chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland. The strike will begin at midnight Thursday (0700 GMT Friday), meaning actors will join writers on picket lines from Friday morning in the first Hollywood "double strike" since 1960. Writers have already spent 11 weeks on the picket line, after their similar demands for better pay and protections against the future use of AI in television and fi...

BJP MP Varun Gandhi Files Case Against Man For Comments On His Father

BJP leader Varun Gandhi on Saturday filed a defamation case in a local court here against a Varanasi man for allegedly making derogatory remarks on his father on Twitter. The Pilibhit MP on Saturday came to the court premises with three advocates around 3 pm and filed a defamation case before Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (II) Abhinav Tiwari. The court recorded his statement and fixed April 25 as the next date for hearing, an advocate said. Gandhi in the complaint said that his father Late Sanjay Gandhi was a well known politician of the country and he was respected all over the country and still is today. He told the court that on March 29, 2023, Vivek Pandey, a resident of Bhojubir of Varanasi district, had made indecent remarks against Sanjay Gandhi through his social media Twitter @vivekkumar IND. According to Mr Gandhi, the accused identified himself as the General Secretary of Nationalist Hindu and Kisan Morcha. Mr Gandhi also said that he was informed about the twee...