Skip to main content

Treesa-Gayatri Lose Semi-Final, Clinch Maiden BWF World Championships Bronze

Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand's extraordinary run ended with a fighting three-game loss to world No. 1 and defending champions Liu Sheng Shu and Tan Ning in the women's doubles semifinals at the BWF World Championships in New Delhi on Saturday, as the Indian pair signed off with a maiden bronze medal. The unseeded Indians produced a sensational start to pocket the opening game but could not sustain the pressure against the mighty Chinese pair, going down 21-18, 13-21, 8-21 in an hour and 11 minutes. India last won a BWF World Championships medal in women's doubles in 2011, when Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa claimed bronze in London. The Indian pair didn't have a favourable head-to-head record against the Chinese, having lost six times with just one to show in seven meetings so far. However, Treesa and Gayatri raced to a 7-2 lead to put the Chinese pair under early pressure. Liu and Tan quickly fought their way back with a series of sharp rallies. Six straigh...

Drug-Addict Jalandhar Man Crosses India-Pak Border, Detained

A man from Punjab's Jalandhar, who is addicted to drugs, crossed the India-Pakistan border and was detained by the Pakistani Rangers. Sharanjit Singh, a native of Jalandhar's Bhoypur village, crossed the border into Pakistan on November 2, according to the police. Shahkot's Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Sukhpal Singh said Sharanjit's family filed a missing persons report on November 7.

However, the family got to know about Sharanjit's whereabouts weeks later when a photo of him handcuffed by the Pakistani Rangers went viral on social media.

Victim's Friend Left Him At Town Close To Pak Border

Speaking to NDTV, Sharanjit's parents said that he left the house on the evening of November 2. Sharanjit's friend Mandeep left him at Khemkaran, which is located just four kilometres from the Pakistan border. When Singh didn't return, his parents enquired about his whereabouts from Mandeep.

Mandeep lied to the family for several days but eventually revealed that he left Sharanjit at Khemkaran. On November 21, the family were left devastated after they received news through social media that Singh had been detained in Pakistan.

The man's family has appealed to the central government to bring him back home.

Shahkot's Station House Officer (SHO) Balwinder Singh said that after the missing persons report was filed on November 7, the Border Security Force (BSF) requested information about Sharanjit, following which it was revealed that the man crossed the border.

Victim Had Case Filed Against Him

Sharanjit's family said that he had been a wrestler for the last 10 years. However, he started using drugs in 2024.

Sharanjit became an addict and would often disobey his family and fight with them. His elder brother has been living in the United States for the last eight years, while his sister is a student in Punjab.

Earlier, a first information report (FIR) was registered against Sharanjit in connection with a brawl, and he was released from jail on October 17. 



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/eR9F1NH
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Teen Who Slapped Teacher In Classroom Faces Kidnapping, Assault Charges

A US high school student, who attacked two teachers in school premises, has been hit indicted on assault and kidnapping charges, according to a report in Fox News. The outlet said that the attacks took place at Parkland High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A video of 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman hitting one of the teachers in the classroom in April had gone viral on social media, leading to a barrage of comments. Hickman is being tried as an adult and his case has been moved from a juvenile court to a superior court. Watch the video: NEW: North Carolina high school student who went viral for hitting his teacher has been smacked with felony charges & is being charged as an adult. This is how it's done. 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman has been indicted on assault and kidnapping charges for two separate… pic.twitter.com/JOsO0bFiKX — Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 5, 2024 "A grand jury was convened last week, last Monday, comprised of members of this community and...

Hollywood Shuts Down As Actors Go On Strike

Hollywood's actors announced Thursday they will go on strike, joining writers in the first industry-wide shutdown in 63 years after last-ditch talks failed, with nearly all film and television production set to grind to a halt. The Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA), which represents 160,000 performers including A-list stars, said negotiations had ended without a deal on their demands over dwindling pay and the threat posed by artificial intelligence. "SAG-AFTRA's national board unanimously voted to issue a strike order against the studios and streamers," said the union's chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland. The strike will begin at midnight Thursday (0700 GMT Friday), meaning actors will join writers on picket lines from Friday morning in the first Hollywood "double strike" since 1960. Writers have already spent 11 weeks on the picket line, after their similar demands for better pay and protections against the future use of AI in television and fi...

BJP MP Varun Gandhi Files Case Against Man For Comments On His Father

BJP leader Varun Gandhi on Saturday filed a defamation case in a local court here against a Varanasi man for allegedly making derogatory remarks on his father on Twitter. The Pilibhit MP on Saturday came to the court premises with three advocates around 3 pm and filed a defamation case before Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (II) Abhinav Tiwari. The court recorded his statement and fixed April 25 as the next date for hearing, an advocate said. Gandhi in the complaint said that his father Late Sanjay Gandhi was a well known politician of the country and he was respected all over the country and still is today. He told the court that on March 29, 2023, Vivek Pandey, a resident of Bhojubir of Varanasi district, had made indecent remarks against Sanjay Gandhi through his social media Twitter @vivekkumar IND. According to Mr Gandhi, the accused identified himself as the General Secretary of Nationalist Hindu and Kisan Morcha. Mr Gandhi also said that he was informed about the twee...