Skip to main content

Sehwag And Dravid's Sons Likely To Play In Major India vs Pakistan Clash

The Indian Under-19 team has received considerable attention of late due to the presence of the sons of two of India's greatest cricketers - Aaryavir Sehwag, son of Virender Sehwag , and Anvay Dravid, son of Rahul Dravid . The duo shone as India U19 outclassed Australia U19 3-0 in a recent one-day youth series. However, they might have a bigger challenge coming up soon. India will take part in the U19 Asia Cup in Oman from November 5 to 14, and Aaryavir and Anvay are in line to be selected. If Aaryavir and Anvay are selected for India U19 - and it seems likely given their recent form - they will play Pakistan, Nepal and United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the group stage. The clash between India U19 and Pakistan U19 is highly-awaited as it is, and the presence of the Aaryavir and Anvay would certainly add further intrigue to the clash. The match between the two arch-rivals is on November 8. For the second year in a row, therefore, India's U19 assignments will gather significant...

'You're A Gujarati, Do Business': Ex-Selector's Advice Left Parthiv Stunned

In a country like India, where cricket academies and teams abound in every corner, getting a chance in the national team requires more than just hard work. There are several instances of talented players failing to earn a place in the national side because of the abundance of options available to the BCCI selectors. Parthiv Patel is one such player. He made his international debut at the age of 17 years and 152 days in 2002. However, his international career saw him being dropped on several occasions for long periods. The emergence of MS Dhoni saw him lose his place in the team. Patel made a comeback in 2008 against Sri Lanka but was dropped again. Then, during the 2009-10 season, Parthiv said he was in peak form in domestic cricket, but when he asked a national selector in 2010 about his prospects, he got a shocking reply.

Patel said he first had a discussion with then-chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar. The India great told him to keep working hard. Then, after a new selection panel came in, he spoke to another selector.

"At that time, I didn't feel aggrieved because I knew my performance wasn't good enough when I got dropped. The team had lost a series in India after a long time. But in the subsequent years, there came a phase when I felt, 'What more can I do than this?' That was when I scored 500 runs across five consecutive innings in First-Class cricket. It's actually an Indian record. Till date, no batter in First-Class cricket in India, whether it's Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, or Sunil Gavaskar, has scored 500 runs in five consecutive innings," Parthiv told Aakash Chopra on the latter's YouTube channel.

"When the selection for the Australia tour was happening, I called selector Dilip Vengsarkar and asked him about my chances. He told me, 'It's unfortunate, keep working hard.' But by 2011, after consistently scoring 700-800 runs every season, the selection committee had changed. I called the new selector from the West Zone to ask about my prospects, and I received a shocking piece of advice.

"He said: 'You are 27-28 years old, you are a Gujarati. Think about whether you can do some business or not.' I told him directly, 'If you don't want to select me, don't. But you cannot discourage someone like this. Fine, this is your thinking, but you have two years left in your tenure. I challenge you that within those two years, I will make a comeback,'" Parthiv added.

He did make a comeback but did not get a long rope.

Parthiv added that he was not in competition with Dhoni.

"I was never in competition with MS Dhoni because he was on a different level. The competition was only for the second keeper's slot. You weren't even talking about the first keeper's spot because of his performances, his stature as a player, and his captaincy. The only question was when he would take a rest so that I'd get to play, or when I'd get the opportunity to go on a tour. But at some point, I realised that we are playing cricket whether it's for India, Gujarat, West Zone, or club cricket. My intensity shouldn't drop, regardless of the level I'm playing at. It couldn't be that I played Ranji Trophy cricket at 50-60% intensity and then suddenly got to play a Test match without knowing the pace of the game. My preparation always had to be as if I was playing for India. Whenever I got the chance, I had to be ready," Parthiv stated.



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/gzRCQpA
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Teen Who Slapped Teacher In Classroom Faces Kidnapping, Assault Charges

A US high school student, who attacked two teachers in school premises, has been hit indicted on assault and kidnapping charges, according to a report in Fox News. The outlet said that the attacks took place at Parkland High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A video of 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman hitting one of the teachers in the classroom in April had gone viral on social media, leading to a barrage of comments. Hickman is being tried as an adult and his case has been moved from a juvenile court to a superior court. Watch the video: NEW: North Carolina high school student who went viral for hitting his teacher has been smacked with felony charges & is being charged as an adult. This is how it's done. 17-year-old Aquavis Hickman has been indicted on assault and kidnapping charges for two separate… pic.twitter.com/JOsO0bFiKX — Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 5, 2024 "A grand jury was convened last week, last Monday, comprised of members of this community and...

Patriots' Christian Gonzalez Sparks Romance Buzz With Juliana Alvarado

Christian Gonzalez may have just given fans their biggest clue yet about his relationship status. The New England Patriots cornerback reacted to influencer Juliana Alvarado's latest Patriots post, and her reply added more fuel to the speculation. Alvarado shared photos from the Patriots' win over the Pittsburgh Steelers while wearing a custom jacket featuring Gonzalez's No. 0. Gonzalez then commented, “HER!” and Alvarado replied, “mwah” with a heart emoji. The exchange has led to reports that the pair are dating, although neither has publicly made a formal relationship announcement.  Christian Gonzalez And Juliana Alvarado Fuel Dating Reports The exchange came after Alvarado attended New England's 20-3 win over Pittsburgh on September 20. She posted several pictures from the Patriots sideline, including one showing her in a custom jacket with Gonzalez's number on it. That caught attention before the cornerback joined the conversation himself.  Gonzalez's “...

Harvard Astrophysicist Says He Found Alien Tech From A Meteor: Report

A Harvard University astrophysicist claims to have made a significant advancement in the quest for extraterrestrial life. Professor Avi Loeb thinks he may have discovered pieces of alien technology from a meteor that crashed in 2014 off the coast of Papua New Guinea. According to CBS News , Loeb and his team just brought the materials back to Harvard for analysis. The U.S. Space Command can confirm with almost near certainty, 99.999%, that it came from another solar system. The government gave Loeb a 10-kilometre (6.2-mile) radius of where it may have landed. "That is where the fireball took place, and the government detected it from the Department of Defence. It's a very big area, the size of Boston, so we wanted to pin it down," said Loeb. "We figured the distance of the fireball based on the time delay between the arrival of the blast wave, the boom of the explosion, and the light that arrived quickly." According to USA Today, the fragments the team uncov...